Bikes are a great way to get around town, and they are becoming more and more popular each year. Unfortunately, bike theft is also on the rise. If you want to keep your bike safe, you need to invest in a good lock. But what happens if you lose your key or the lock breaks?
In this blog post, we will show you how to cut a bike lock – even if it’s made from cable! So, whether you’re in a pinch or you just want to learn how to do it, read on for our step-by-step guide.
What is A Bike Lock Cable?
A bike lock cable is a type of bicycle security device used to secure the frame and wheels of a bicycle to an immovable object. There are many different types and designs of bike lock cables, but they all serve the same basic purpose.
Bike lock cables are made from a variety of materials, including steel, aluminum, and Kevlar. Bike locks are also available in a variety of sizes to accommodate different bike frame sizes. The cable lock is the most common type of bike lock, and it is also the least expensive.
How Does Bike Lock Cable Work?
To understand how to cut a bike lock cable, it is important to know how the device works. A bike lock is a physical security device that is used to protect bicycles from theft. It works by fastening the bicycle to an immovable object, such as a lamp post or fence, using a chain, cable, U lock, or combination lock.
The cable is the part of the lock that is used to secure the bicycle. It is made of steel or another strong material and is difficult to cut through without the proper tools. The cable is wrapped around the frame of the bicycle and then passed through the shackle of the lock.
The shackle is then closed, locking the bicycle in place. Cutting through a bike lock cable is not easy and requires special tools. However, it can be done if you have the right equipment. Most cheap bike locks work by using a thin steel cable that is easy to cut through.
8 Different Types of Bike Locks You Should Be Familiar With!
Bike locks come in all shapes and sizes, each with its own unique benefits. Here’s a quick rundown of the seven most popular types of bike locks, so you can choose the best one for your needs!
4 Main Types of bike lock
- Folding locks – Folding locks are made up of multiple metal plates that fold into each other. They’re usually pretty compact, making them great for portability. The compact design also makes them more difficult to attack with bolt cutters.
- Chain locks – Chain locks are just what they sound like – a chain that you loop around your bike frame and secure with a padlock. They’re heavy and can be awkward to carry, but they’re also very strong and difficult to defeat.
- U-locks – U-locks are perhaps the most popular type of bike lock. They’re made up of a metal “U” shape that surrounds your bike frame and locks in place. U-locks are very strong, but their size can make them difficult to carry around.
- Cable locks – Cable locks are made up of a long steel cable that you loop around your bike frame. They’re not as strong as chains or U-locks, but they’re much lighter and easier to carry.
Other Popular Types of bike Locks
Accessory locks – Accessory locks are small, lightweight locks that you can use to secure your bike accessories, like your wheels or seat. They’re not very strong, but they’re easy to carry and can deter thieves looking for an easy target.
- Lightweight locks – Lightweight locks are just as strong as heavier locks, but they’re much easier to carry. They’re a great option if you don’t want to deal with the weight of a chain or U-lock.
- Combination locks – The combination lock is the most common type of bike lock. It is a cylinder that you spin to line up the numbers to open it. You just need to know the correct sequence of numbers. Some combination locks have a key as well that can be used to reset the combination or open the lock if you forget the combination.
- Ground anchors – A ground anchor is the best way to protect your bike as it cannot be lifted off the ground and out of sight. The most effective anchors are those that go through the frame and wheels of the bicycle and are then locked in place. A good quality ground anchor will have a large diameter shackle made from hardened steel.
- Accessory locks – Accessory locks are small, lightweight locks that you can use to secure your bike accessories, like your wheels or seat. They’re not very strong, but they’re easy to carry and can deter thieves looking for an easy target.
Why Do You Need to Cut a Bike Lock Cable?
Most people don’t need to know how to cut a bike lock cable. However, in some situations, it may be necessary. Here are some reasons why you might need to cut a bike lock cable:
Bolt lock failure
If the locking mechanism on your bike lock cable fails, you will need to cut the cable in order to remove the lock from your bike. The bolt lock is the most common type of locking mechanism on bike locks and is usually located at the end of the cable. The malfunctioning bolt lock can be caused by a number of things, such as dirt and grime getting into the mechanism or the internal springs wearing out.
Losing the key to your bike lock is one of the most common reasons people need to know how to cut a bike lock cable. It’s important to have a backup plan in case this happens because if you don’t have the key, you won’t be able to unlock the lock and remove it from your bike. The key can be lost in a number of ways, such as:
- Misplacing it
- Dropping it and not being able to find it
- Having it stolen
If you think there’s a chance you may have lost the key to your bike lock, it’s best to try and find it before resorting to cutting the lock. However, if you can’t find the key, cutting the lock is the only way you’re going to be able to remove it from your bike.
The lock has been tampered with
If you notice that the lock has been tampered with, it’s best to cut the cable and remove the lock as soon as possible. This is because if the lock has been tampered with, it’s possible that the thief has left some sort of device inside the lock that could be used to open it at a later time. This is why it’s important to cut the cable and remove the lock as soon as you notice that it has been tampered with.
When it comes to cutting a bike lock cable, there are a few different options available to you. The best option will depend on what type of lock you have and what type of cutter you have available.
Step By Step On How to Cut a Bike Lock Cable
Assuming that you have already tried the obvious of finding the key and/or combination to the lock, let’s move on to cutting the bike lock cable.
What you need:
- A hacksaw with a bi-metal blade
- A vise
- A bolt cutter (optional)
- Safety goggles
- Hand protection
Now that you have your supplies let’s get started.
Step #01 – Put on your safety goggles and gloves for hand protection
The first thing you want to do is protect your eyes and hands. This is a messy and potentially dangerous process, so you want to make sure you are as safe as possible. Even if you are just using a pair of scissors, small pieces of the bike lock can fly off and cause serious damage to your eyes. So, put on your safety goggles first. Then, put on a pair of gloves to protect your hands from the sharp edges of the metal.
Step #02 – Place the bike lock in the vise
Next, you want to secure the bike lock in a vise. This will hold it still while you are working on it and prevent it from moving around. If you don’t have a vise, you can try clamping it to a table or another surface. Just make sure it is secure before moving on to the next step. It is also a good idea to put a piece of cloth or something else soft in the vise to prevent damage to the bike lock.
Step #03 – Cut through the shackle
Now, it is time to start cutting through the shackle. Take your hacksaw and start sawing back and forth through the metal. It will take some time and effort, but eventually, you will cut through the shackle. If you are having trouble cutting through the metal, you can try using a bolt cutter. This will make the process easier but is not necessary.
Step #04 – Cut through the body
Once you have cut through the shackle, you need to cut through the body of the lock. This is the part that goes around the bike frame and is usually made of a thicker piece of metal. Again, it will take some time and effort, but you will eventually cut through it.
Step #05 – Remove the pieces from the vise
Now, you can remove the pieces from the vise and discard them. You have now successfully cut through a bike lock!
There you have it! A step-by-step guide on how to cut a bike lock cable. Be sure to follow the steps carefully and always wear safety goggles and gloves when working with sharp tools. You can contact us at Mya Locksmith if you need help with your bike lock or any other type of lock. We are always happy to help!
Most Common Tools Used by Bike Thieves
Let’s start with the most common tools used by bike thieves.
Hydraulic bottle jacks
A hydraulic bottle jack is the most common tool used by bike thieves. A hydraulic bottle jack can be used to cut through a bike lock in seconds. A hydraulic bottle jack is a small, portable jack that is placed under the bike frame and used to lift the bike off the ground. The thief then uses a pair of pliers to cut through the bike lock.
Portable angle grinders
Battery-powered angle grinders are becoming more popular with bike thieves. An angle grinder will quickly cut through a cable lock. If you see someone with an angle grinder, be aware that they may be up to no good.
Wire cutters are commonly used by bike thieves to cut through cable locks. Wire cutters are also used to cut through the spokes of a wheel, which can then be removed from the bike.
Many thieves carry around a set of bolt cutters because they can quickly and easily snap through most types of bike locks. The medium-sized bolt cutter is the most popular because it can handle a variety of lock sizes. The smaller ones can snap through thinner cables, and the larger ones can cut through thicker chains. Medium-sized bolt cutters can also be used to cut through padlocks, which is another type of lock that you might use to secure your bike.
Their bare hands!
In some cases, bike thieves will simply use their bare hands to break your lock. Thieves have been known to snap cable locks by hand, and they can also break U-locks by striking them with a hard object. If you see someone trying to break your lock with their bare hands, it’s time to call the police.
Thieves often use hacksaws to cut through bike locks. A hacksaw is a hand saw with a thin, narrow blade that’s great for cutting metal. The thief will place the blade of the hacksaw against the bike lock and saw back and forth until the lock is cut through.
In some cases, bike thieves will use a hammer to break your lock. The thief will strike the lock with the head of the hammer until the lock is broken. This method is not as common as other methods because it’s very loud and can attract attention.
Crowbars / Scaffold poles
Crowbars and scaffold poles are sometimes used by bike thieves to break locks. The thief will place the crowbar or scaffold pole against the lock and apply pressure until the lock is broken.
What Can You Do to Prevent Your Bike from Being Stolen?
Now that you know the most common tools used by bike thieves, you can take steps to prevent your bike from being stolen. Here are some tips:
- Use a high-quality lock that is made of hardened steel – A high-quality lock will be made of hardened steel and will be difficult for a thief to cut through. This type of lock will also be very heavy, which makes it more difficult for a thief to carry away your bike.
- Use two locks – Using two locks is a great way to deter thieves. If you use a U-lock and a cable lock, it will take a thief twice as long to cut through both locks. This will give them less time to steal your bike.
- Lock your bike in a well-lit area – If you lock your bike in a well-lit area, it will be more difficult for a thief to steal your bike without being seen. So, if you are going to be gone for a while, make sure to lock your bike in a well-lit area.
- Take accessories with you – You can also deter thieves by taking accessories with you when you leave your bike. If you have a quick-release seat or wheels, take them with you. This will make it more difficult for a thief to ride away on your bike because they will have to find a new seat and wheels.
- Note your bike’s serial number and unique features – Your bike’s serial number is like a fingerprint and can be used to identify your bike if it is stolen. So, make sure to note your bike’s serial number and any unique features it has. This will help the police identify your bike if it is stolen.
By following these tips, you can help to prevent your bike from being stolen. Bike theft is a serious problem, but it can be prevented if we all take the necessary precautions.
Cutting a bike lock is not as difficult as it may seem. With the right tools, you can quickly and easily cut through a bike lock. Be sure to use caution when cutting through a lock, as you don’t want to damage your bike. With a little practice, you’ll be able to cut through a bike lock like a pro! If you need help, be sure to ask Locksmith Fishkill NY, for assistance.